[Biopython-dev] KEGG API Wrapper

Zachary Charlop-Powers zcharlop at mail.rockefeller.edu
Tue Oct 16 23:55:26 UTC 2012

Kevin,
Michiel,

I just tested Kevin's code for a few simple queries and it worked great. I have always liked KEGG's organization of data and really appreciate this RESTful interface to their data; in some ways I think it easier to use the web interfaces for KEGG than it is for NCBI. Plus the KEGG coverage of metabolic networks is awesome.  I found the examples in Kevin's test script to be fairly self-explanatory but a simple-spelled out example in the Tutorial would be nice.

One thought, though, is that you can retrieve MANY different types of data from the KEGG Rest API - which means that the user will probably have to parse the data his/herself. Data retrieved with "list" can return lists of genes or compounds or organism and after a  cursory look  these are each formatted differently. Also true with the 'find' command. So I think you were right to leave out parsers because i think they will be a moving target highly dependent on the query.

Thank You Kevin,
zach cp