[Biopython-dev] GSoC Student Applicant

Wibowo Arindrarto w.arindrarto at gmail.com
Fri Mar 30 23:11:34 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 03:22, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:

> Bow;
>
> > I have just finished my first proposal draft. Here is the link:
> >
> > https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wi46mTZCzKooxZGWMrdZpsJ-bjpp9fD50NF60exPKqg/edit
> >
> > Looking forward to your comments / thoughts / critiques,
>
> Thanks for putting this together. It would be helpful if you enabled
> editing, or at least comments, so we could leave feedback in the
> document directly.
>
> My general thoughts:
>
> - You should include your long version and move this up earlier in the
>  document. GSoC are as much about the students as they are about the
>  project, and reviewers will have strong interest in you as a person.
>
> - Your timeline should be much more detailed. You want it broken down
>  week by week by planned features and specific deliverables: code,
>  tests and documentation. Mentors use the project plan to ensure
>  everything is on track during the summer, so it's important to be as
>  detailed as possible.
>
> - You might want to expand a bit on your research obligations for the
>  summer. Your research + GSoC timeline sounds like you've left yourself
>  no chance for eating or you know, talking with other people in real
>  life. It's good to be sure you have a realistic set of
>  responsibilities so you don't overcommit and sacrifice either your
>  masters work or GSoC.
>
> Hope this is helpful and thanks again for the work,
> Brad

Hi Brad,

Thank you for the comments and suggestions. I've added a little bit
more details to my personal profile and put it up front. My project
details have also been broken down into single weeks. And I've edited
the commenting permission.

As for my other obligations, I didn't mean to give that impression. I
added a little bite more detail about the project itself, but I'm not
sure about the time that I should write. I estimate that at most, for
each week day, I spend 8 hours doing my Master's project in my lab's
campus. Since the project started, I usually use the remainder of the
time (~6 hours/day) for my own personal programming projects. I plan
to use the personal programming time slot for my GSoC instead, if
accepted. Should I be this thorough in the proposal?

Thanks again :),
Bow