[Biopython-dev] GSoC Student Applicant

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Mar 30 01:22:18 UTC 2012

Bow;

> I have just finished my first proposal draft. Here is the link:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wi46mTZCzKooxZGWMrdZpsJ-bjpp9fD50NF60exPKqg/edit
>
> Looking forward to your comments / thoughts / critiques,

Thanks for putting this together. It would be helpful if you enabled
editing, or at least comments, so we could leave feedback in the
document directly.

My general thoughts:

- You should include your long version and move this up earlier in the
  document. GSoC are as much about the students as they are about the
  project, and reviewers will have strong interest in you as a person.

- Your timeline should be much more detailed. You want it broken down
  week by week by planned features and specific deliverables: code,
  tests and documentation. Mentors use the project plan to ensure
  everything is on track during the summer, so it's important to be as
  detailed as possible.

- You might want to expand a bit on your research obligations for the
  summer. Your research + GSoC timeline sounds like you've left yourself
  no chance for eating or you know, talking with other people in real
  life. It's good to be sure you have a realistic set of
  responsibilities so you don't overcommit and sacrifice either your
  masters work or GSoC.

Hope this is helpful and thanks again for the work,
Brad