[Biopython-dev] Travis-CI to complement BuildBot

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Jun 22 13:26:26 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 21, 2012 at 11:31 AM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:

> Peter;
> That's great, thanks for hooking Biopython up to Travis. I use it for
> personal projects and it's great to have this kind of feedback if
> something is breaking.

There is a slight delay before new commits get tested, but the
fact that it is automatic and (relatively) immediate compared to
the nightly buildbot is a big plus (although it is possible to trigger
a buildslave on demand, that isn't very considerate unless
it is one of your machines).

I've just been trying it with some new doctest examples in the
tutorial - I managed to break both Python 2.5 by using a with
statement, and Python 3 due to a bug in the gzip module. Both
caught by Travis :)

I've found a blog post on how to use Jython with Travis (since
it is not officially supported yet):
http://dev.hong.me/blog/2012/05/27/use-travis-ci-with-jython/

I think we can use the same trick to get PyPy 1.9 (also not yet
officially supported).

> I'd vote for hooking the e-mails up to the dev list. You normally only
> get e-mails from Travis when something break and you need to fix it, so
> hopefully it won't be too noisy.

OK - but I'll try and get Jython 2.5 and PyPy 1.9 working first.