[Biopython-dev] Genome Diagram Default Behavior

Leighton Pritchard Leighton.Pritchard at hutton.ac.uk
Thu Aug 2 07:42:47 UTC 2012

Hi,

On 1 Aug 2012, at Wednesday, August 1, 18:15, Peter Cock wrote:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:27 PM, Zachary Charlop-Powers
<zcharlop at mail.rockefeller.edu<mailto:zcharlop at mail.rockefeller.edu>> wrote:
Leighton,
Peter,

I love that we're not in the same timezone; I ask a question when I leave
work and - lo,and, behold - when I return in the morning there is a well
thought out response.  Thank you both.

No worries.

I had a go this afternoon (a quite moment between rushes - grin),

Good job getting it done so quickly!

and it wasn't as bad as I feared.
[…]
To match the current sigil argument names BOX and ARROW, I have
provisionally called BIGARROW. Any better ideas?

BIGARROW sounds fine to me. I like literal names.

Leighton and I had a little debate about this - with hindsight, the
original arrow sigil might have raised an error or drawn a box in
this situation - but I'm not willing to change this and break existing
code.

Likewise - now it's been there so long, I think it would be inconsistent at this point to change it. Arguably, the default setting has to choose a direction simply because (single-headed) arrows have a direction. For those figures where you're being precise, users can use a box for a feature with no direction; if it's pointing the wrong way, users can set the feature strand. Left-to-right as a default is arbitrary, though.

Cheers,

L.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard
Information and Computing Sciences Group; Weeds, Pests and Diseases Theme

This email is from the James Hutton Institute, however the views
expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of the James Hutton
Institute and its subsidiaries. This email and any attachments are confidential and
are intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read, copy, disclose or rely on
any information contained in this email, and we would ask you to contact the
sender immediately and delete the email from your system.  Although the James
Hutton Institute has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present
in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any
viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and any attachments.

The James Hutton Institute is a Scottish charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No. SC374831
Registered Office: The James Hutton Institute, Invergowrie Dundee DD2 5DA.
Charity No. SC041796