[Biopython-dev] Genome Diagram Default Behavior

Zachary Charlop-Powers zcharlop at mail.rockefeller.edu
Wed Aug 1 14:27:32 UTC 2012

Leighton,
Peter,

I love that we're not in the same timezone; I ask a question when I leave work and - lo,and, behold - when I return in the morning there is a well thought out response.  Thank you both.

The good news is the underlying drawing code can do this - the
arrow drawing is just given a bounding box and the requested
orientation (left or right) argument set by the get_feature_sigil
method of the LinearDrawer or CircularDrawer.

If you need this right now, a careful hack in get_feature_sigil is
the way to proceed.

I will take a look at this for a quick hack for some drawing I am working on.

That was another idea I was considering. Under this model, the sigils
could be given the full strand straddling bounding box, and decide if
they will use all of this (i.e. the new 'large_arrow', or the current sigils
when strand-less), or just half as in the stranded current 'arrow' and
'box' sigils where the strand is known.

That could work quite well, and the end user API is quite clean.

This option gets my vote.

L.

If you are both in agreement that this option is desirable and that it can be implemented in the sigil style, now we face the question of coding it. Would either of you consider working on it? If not this might be a problem I could tackle with a small amount of mentoring. Please let me know - I am happy to take a stab at it.

best regards,
zach cp