[Biopython-dev] Genome Diagram Default Behavior

Leighton Pritchard Leighton.Pritchard at hutton.ac.uk
Wed Aug 1 11:23:48 UTC 2012

On 1 Aug 2012, at Wednesday, August 1, 12:05, Peter Cock wrote:

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:53 AM, Leighton Pritchard
<Leighton.Pritchard at hutton.ac.uk<mailto:Leighton.Pritchard at hutton.ac.uk>> wrote:

It doesn't, if the single track is the same height as before - what differs
is the whether the features on that track are half, or full, track height.

Yes, but once you've configured the arrows to straddle the axis, you can
then allocate less vertical space to that track. i.e. it needs less space.

I understand that  - and maybe I'm being (over) pedantic - but you can allocate less vertical space to the track in either case: the question is what kind of feature representation gives you the desired information legibly at those settings ;)

That was another idea I was considering. Under this model, the sigils
could be given the full strand straddling bounding box, and decide if
they will use all of this (i.e. the new 'large_arrow', or the current sigils
when strand-less), or just half as in the stranded current 'arrow' and
'box' sigils where the strand is known.

That could work quite well, and the end user API is quite clean.

This option gets my vote.

L.

--
Dr Leighton Pritchard
Information and Computing Sciences Group; Weeds, Pests and Diseases Theme

This email is from the James Hutton Institute, however the views
expressed by the sender are not necessarily the views of the James Hutton
Institute and its subsidiaries. This email and any attachments are confidential and
are intended solely for the use of the recipient(s) to whom they are addressed.
If you are not the intended recipient, you should not read, copy, disclose or rely on
any information contained in this email, and we would ask you to contact the
sender immediately and delete the email from your system.  Although the James
Hutton Institute has taken reasonable precautions to ensure no viruses are present
in this email, neither the Institute nor the sender accepts any responsibility for any
viruses, and it is your responsibility to scan the email and any attachments.

The James Hutton Institute is a Scottish charitable company limited by guarantee.
Registered in Scotland No. SC374831
Registered Office: The James Hutton Institute, Invergowrie Dundee DD2 5DA.
Charity No. SC041796