[Biopython-dev] Interesting BLAST 2.2.25+ XML behaviour

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:08:46 UTC 2011

Hi all,

Have a look at this XML file from a FASTA vs FASTA search
using blastp from  BLAST 2.2.25+ (current release), which
is a test file I created for the BLAST+ wrappers in Galaxy:

https://bitbucket.org/galaxy/galaxy-central/src/8eaf07a46623/test-data/blastp_four_human_vs_rhodopsin.xml

I just put it though the Biopython BLAST XML parser, and
was surprised not to get four records back (since as you
might guess from the filename, there were four queries).

It appears this version of BLAST+ is incrementing the
iteration counter for each match... or something like that.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if it is accidental...