[Biopython-dev] Changed in C API

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 08:47:58 UTC 2010

On Tue, Oct 26, 2010 at 8:34 AM, Dragoslav Zaric
<zaricdragoslav at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Peter,
>
> The list of changes in Python 3 is not complete. This is current list:
>
> Can you tell me what are exactly versions that we are converting, from
> 2.7 to 3.0.1 ??

We currently support Python 2.4 to 2.7 (but plan to drop support
for Python 2.4 soon). We've been testing on Python 3.1 and except
to support later versions as they are released.

I personally don't really care about Python 3.0 (it would be nice if
that works too, but it is not essential).

> This means that python 3 is still no optimized or like all software
> start to be worse with new versions :)

Python 3.1 is already out and is faster than Python 3.0. Some things
are still slower than Python 2 though, in particular we've noticed this
for parsing since by default Python 3 uses unicode instead of byte
strings.