[Biopython-dev] 2to3 and doctests

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Jul 14 10:49:16 UTC 2010

2010/7/11 Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk>:
> 2010/7/10 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There are a couple of issues with 2to3 and biopython doctests.
>>
>> 1. There is a bug in 2to3 which crashes the tool with some doctests.
>> This bug was recognized by the python team and corrected ...
>>
>> 2. Some of our doctests are incorrectly specified, one example from
>> Phylo/BaseTree.py ...

We're not the only people to run into problems with 2to3 and doctest
not working properly:

http://lucumr.pocoo.org/2010/2/11/porting-to-python-3-a-guide

Most of our doctests still work after 2to3 and I guess we can look at
the failures on a case by case basis (and for expediency move them
into proper unit tests or remove them if they can't be tweaked to
work on both Python 2.x and 3.x).