[Biopython-dev] Python's new DVCS chosen

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Tue Mar 31 11:05:07 UTC 2009

Hi,
On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 12:28 PM, Peter <biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This might be of interest (although I'm sure some of you already
> know).  Earlier this month on the python-dev mailing list, Guido
> van Rossum wrote:
>> We're switching to Mercurial (Hg).
> Interestingly, Mercurial (Hg) didn't get much of a mention in our
> discussions here.

Their evaluation of different options  (in PEP 374) was mentioned on
the list by Bruce, so everyone was able to make their opinions.

As Guido explains in another paragraph:
>It's hard to explain my reasons for choosing -- like most language
>decisions (especially the difficult ones) it's mostly a matter of gut
>feelings. One thing I know is that it's better to decide now than to
>spend another year discussing the pros and cons. All that could be
>said has been said, pretty much, and my mind is made up.

He seems to find all the candidates good enough. It's a matter then of
a consensus between developers. Git happened to have many antagonists
on python-dev list, but it happened to have more protagonists on
biopython-dev.

I think we have made a consensus decision to try out git/github and I
think it's extremely counter-productive to re-open the discussion on
our choice now. I'm not a git fanboy, but because there are _no_
universal criteria to choose between git vs. bzr vs. Hg we should not
spend more time on this issue.

cheers
  Bartek