[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Sun Mar 15 20:12:46 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Sun, Mar 15, 2009 at 7:54 PM, Brad Chapman <chapmanb at 50mail.com> wrote:

> - Pick a distributed source code management system. My preference
>  is Git, only because it currently has more steam behind it.
>  Git/Bazaar will likely end up being like the VHS/Beta debate.
>
> - Test drive use of Git on an official GitHub repository. This would
>  involve a few things:
>
>  = Bartek and Giovanni: Can you coordinate on a single GitHub
>    Biopython instance and remove the others to eliminate confusion?
>  = Write up documentation for contributors. This is where we could use
>    some volunteers from those interested to update the web pages.
>    The two main places that need updating are:
>
>    http://biopython.org/wiki/Contributing
>    http://biopython.org/wiki/CVS
>
>    I think we should ensure people are clear on what is being done
>    and where you can contribute.
>
> - Ensure GitHub can be synced with current CVS. Bartek, it sounds
>  like you have a handle on this.
>
> - Evaluate the success of Git. This is easy to measure in terms of
>  new contributors, increased happiness, and what not. At the same
>  time we can monitor how GitHub evolves over time.

I think there are some important points brought by Brad (and others).

- From the technical point of view, I don't see any serious problems:
  - I can setup a new branch in github (current one includes some
testing changes done by Giovanni)
  - it will be synchronized daily with changes from CVS
  - I'll set up a script to also save a backup of the official branch
at the OBF server (to ensure that we do not depend on github)
  - I can make a (short) documentation on how to contribute.

I don't know wheteher anyone beside me is still interested in
testdriving launchpad/bzr as an alternative. If there are no other
people, I'll close the current testing branches from launchpad.

> Peter, Michiel, et al -- how do you feel?

I would also very happily hear from other developers. Especially if
there are any people who would be unhappy if we finally moved away
from CVS.

I'll post when I will have a running setup of cvs2git conversion.

cheers
Bartek