[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Sun Mar 15 18:54:43 UTC 2009

Hi all;
It is good to see the discussion around revision control systems;
Chris and Paulo's posts make some nice points. Source code
management is an important issue that influences perception of
Biopython and barriers to contributing.

My two cents on what we should do is:

- Pick a distributed source code management system. My preference
  is Git, only because it currently has more steam behind it.
  Git/Bazaar will likely end up being like the VHS/Beta debate.

- Test drive use of Git on an official GitHub repository. This would
  involve a few things:

  = Bartek and Giovanni: Can you coordinate on a single GitHub
    Biopython instance and remove the others to eliminate confusion?
  = Write up documentation for contributors. This is where we could use
    some volunteers from those interested to update the web pages.
    The two main places that need updating are:

    http://biopython.org/wiki/Contributing
    http://biopython.org/wiki/CVS

    I think we should ensure people are clear on what is being done
    and where you can contribute.

- Ensure GitHub can be synced with current CVS. Bartek, it sounds
  like you have a handle on this.

- Evaluate the success of Git. This is easy to measure in terms of
  new contributors, increased happiness, and what not. At the same
  time we can monitor how GitHub evolves over time.

- If successful, talk to the OpenBio team about hosting Git locally.

Peter, Michiel, et al -- how do you feel?

I think being cautious with the transition, as Peter recommends, is
important. I am old enough to remember Sourceforge being new and
everyone saying how it was stupid not to move there; then over time
Sourceforge got slow with all the users and people moved
away from it. This is just to say -- no one knows how GitHub (or
Launchpad) will evolve. OpenBio is a stable, small, nice community
and to the extent we can use their resources I believe we should.

Overall, the specifics of the above proposal aren't as important as
just doing something unambiguous and then evaluating how it works.
Right now things are a big confusing, which I think could put off
new developers, who are always welcome.

Looking forward to talking about code instead of revision control,
Brad