[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 13:31:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have uploaded a git-converted branch of biopython on github, in case
> you want to try it and see how it works.
>
> You can find it here:
> - http://github.com/biopython/biopython/

Hi people,
so, I am still testing biopython on git.

The function to convert a cvs repository to git works well: I have
just updated the branch on github to the latest cvs commit in
open-bio, and it has correctly imported all the new commits without
mixing them with the old ones.

Now, if you look at http://github.com/biopython/biopython/network ,
you can see the results from all these experiments: the black line
represent the code imported from cvs, and the other ones are
experiments (well, don't care about the red one).

For example, let's say you want to test the fix to the SwissProt
parser commented by Andrea.
You could create a new experimental branch, make it publicly
accessible, and put all the changes there: only when you will consider
it finish, you will merge it with the official one.
The advantage of doing this is that two people or more are able to
work on the same patch at the same time, and without having to touch
the official code.

--

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it