[Biopython-dev] biopython on github

Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio dalloliogm at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 16:40:03 UTC 2009

On Sun, Feb 15, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Giovanni Marco Dall'Olio
<dalloliogm at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I have uploaded a git-converted branch of biopython on github, in case
> you want to try it and see how it works.

So, yesterday Bartek and me have tried github a bit, and we both have
done some test commits to our personal development branches.

If you go here:
- http://github.com/biopython/biopython/network

you will see the network of all the changes we made each and the
differences between the various branches.
The application that creates the diagram tries to minimize the number
of branches shown: so maybe you won't see my branch or Bartek's if one
of the two can be included in the other.

If you create your own branch, and later other people commit other
changes on other forks of the same project, you will have an utility
to list all these changes directly from github.
It will look like this:
- http://img8.imageshack.us/img8/4194/biopythonforkqueueod5.png

So, in principle these are the most useful features that I think
github offers and I couldn't find in other similar softwares (e.g.
trac).
On the other side, github has some disadvantages: it is a commercial
product, and it has no specific tool to integrate it with a bug
tracker.

--

My blog on bioinformatics (now in English): http://bioinfoblog.it