[Biopython-dev] docstring tests

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Thu Feb 12 11:49:53 UTC 2009

Hi Michiel (and everyone else),

I was wondering about how the doctests are currently integrated into
run_tests.py, and wondered if this patch makes things more concise?
This patch is against run_tests.py CVS revision 1.22, essentially it
adds the doctest modules to the list of tests - rather than as a
separate list.  The code becomes slightly shorter, but I am not sure
if this is actually clearer or not.

Note - this does not address the issue of how to run just the doctests
- something I think is very useful when working on them.

Peter

$ diff run_tests.py run_tests2.py
209,211c209
<         if self.tests:
<             self.doctest_modules = []
<         else:
---
>         if not self.tests:
218c216,222
<             self.doctest_modules = DOCTEST_MODULES
---
>             if sys.version_info[:2] < (2, 4):
>                 #On python 2.3, doctest uses slightly different formatting
>                 #which would be a problem as the expected output won't match.
>                 #Also, it can't cope with <BLANKLINE> in a doctest string.
>                 sys.stderr.write("Skipping doctests which require Python 2.4+\n")
>             else :
>                 self.tests.extend(DOCTEST_MODULES)
234,240c238,253
<                 module = __import__(name)
<                 suite = unittest.TestLoader().loadTestsFromModule(module)
<                 if suite.countTestCases()==0:
<                     # This is a print-and-compare test instead of a unittest-
<                     # type test.
<                     test = ComparisonTestCase(name, output)
<                     suite = unittest.TestSuite([test])
---
>                 if "." in name :
>                     #Its a doc test
>                     #Can't use fromlist=name.split(".") until python 2.5+
>                     module = __import__(name, None, None, name.split("."))
>                     suite = doctest.DocTestSuite(module)
>                     del module
>                 else :
>                     #Its a unittest (or a print-and-compare test)
>                     suite = unittest.TestLoader().loadTestsFromName(name)
>                     if suite.countTestCases()==0:
>                         # This is a print-and-compare test instead of a
>                         # unittest-type test.
>                         test = ComparisonTestCase(name, output)
>                         suite = unittest.TestSuite([test])
263,277d275
<     def runDocTest(self, name):
<         #Can't use fromlist=name.split(".") until python 2.5+
<         module = __import__(name, None, None, name.split("."))
<         sys.stderr.write("%s docstring test ... " % module.__name__)
<         suite = doctest.DocTestSuite(module)
<         result = self._makeResult()
<         suite.run(result)
<         if result.wasSuccessful():
<             sys.stderr.write("ok\n")
<             return True
<         else:
<             sys.stderr.write("FAIL\n")
<             result.printErrors()
<             return False
<
287,297d284
<         if sys.version_info[:2] < (2, 4):
<             #On python 2.3, doctest uses slightly different formatting
<             #which would be a problem as the expected output won't match.
<             #Also, it can't cope with <BLANKLINE> in a doctest string.
<             sys.stderr.write("Docstring tests require Python 2.4 or
later; skipping\n")
<         else:
<             for test in self.doctest_modules:
<                 ok = self.runDocTest(test)
<                 if not ok:
<                     failures += 1
<                 total += 1