[Biopython-dev] Deprecating Bio.Fasta?

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Wed Aug 5 10:29:45 UTC 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 9:48 PM, Peter<biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:
> On 22 June 2009, I wrote:
>> I'd like to officially deprecate Bio.Fasta for the next release (Biopython
>> 1.51), which means you can continue to use it for a couple more
>> releases, but at import time you will see a warning message. See also:
>> http://biopython.org/wiki/Deprecation_policy
>
> No one replied, so I plan to make this change in CVS shortly, meaning
> that Bio.Fasta will be deprecated in Biopython 1.51, i.e. it will still work
> but will trigger a deprecation warning at import.
>
> Please speak up ASAP if this concerns you.

I've just committed the deprecation of Bio.Fasta to CVS. This could be
reverted if anyone has a compelling reason (and tells us before we do
the final release of Biopython 1.51).

The docstring for Bio.Fasta should cover the typical situations for moving
from Bio.Fasta to Bio.SeqIO, but please feel free to ask on the mailing
list if you have a more complicated bit of old code that needs to be ported.

Thanks,