[Biopython-dev] Merging branches

Bartek Wilczynski bartek at rezolwenta.eu.org
Sun Apr 5 09:49:14 UTC 2009

Hi Tiago,

2009/4/4 Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com>:
> Me thinks I need to get a book on git and understand, once and for
> all, the basic concepts. I am getting merge conflicts with cherry
> picking and I don't even understand why

If you could be a bit more specific (providing the files and revision numbers
would be great), than it would be easier to help. I know it is an extra work,
but we need some info, also to improve our wiki documents.

> Anyway it would be nice (but not fundamental) to merge just a single file.

This is one of the fundamentalo changes between CVS and git. CVS uses
files as the atomic piece of data, while git works with changesets (commits).

This means, that if you only need a part of what was committed as a
big changeset,
you will need to put an extra effort into selecting what you need.

>> 2009/4/4 Tiago Antão:
>>> Is there any way to just get partial merge? In this case I only want
>>> to merge a single sub dir (although, in general one might just want
>>> to import a single file)

Looking at specific files is not the default way things work in git.
The idea is that if
someone makes a single commit, it is an atomic contribution that is
either to be
accepted or not. You can of course create a diff file and then split
it into specific files.
I'll look into possible easier ways of doing it.

cheers
  Bartek