[Biopython-dev] BioPythonGUI: Graphical User Interface for BioPython

Marshall Hampton mhampton at d.umn.edu
Tue Sep 9 14:21:15 UTC 2008

Hi,

I think I'd mentioned this before on this list, but the BioPythonGUI post
made me think I should again: people interested in
GUIs and visualization with biopython should check out the Sage project:
www.sagemath.org.  I help maintain the inclusion of
biopython in Sage as an optional package. Sage is a python-based
computational platform that unites a great deal of
mathematical software, and uses a web browser as its GUI.  This makes
sharing code very easy.

I teach a bioinformatics course using Sage and biopython, which has been
working very well.

I wrote a brief introduction that gives some idea of what is possible with
the Sage/biopython combination:
http://openwetware.org/wiki/Open_writing_projects/Sage_and_cython_a_brief_introduction

...and the Sage wiki @interact examples might also give some ideas:
http://wiki.sagemath.org/interact

Cheers,
Marshall Hampton
University of Minnesota, Duluth

PS. Sorry if this gets sent twice, I think I messed up the list address
the first time.