[Biopython-dev] Bio.PopGen and CVS/SVN

Peter biopython at maubp.freeserve.co.uk
Mon Mar 31 19:04:35 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 31, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Tiago Antão <tiagoantao at gmail.com> wrote:
> When on SVN I would like to consider branching for PopGen. AFAIK
>  branching on svn costs very little (only when you make changes does
>  SVN copies the content from the original branch).
>
>  This would have the big advantage that I could make my changes freely
>  without impact on Michiel's release cycle (or breaking the SVN head
>  for some reason). Whenever I get something stable I just merge back.
>
>  There are good reasons NOT to branch, so this might not be a good
>  idea... But considering that I am the only person that changes PopGen
>  I don't thing merging will be an issue at all... Any comments?

I had been wondering about taking advantage of SVN to explore my
Bio.AlignIO plans and/or improvements to the alignment object.  I
think I will need to read up on SVN and how it handles merges and
branches before I try this.

There is a lot to be said for having a single stable trunk - it
certainly makes things simpler for any new developers to get to grips
with things.