[Biopython-dev] Biopython SVN Transition OK'd

Chris Lasher chris.lasher at gmail.com
Tue Oct 30 14:17:29 UTC 2007

Hi all,

Biopython just got the okay from OpenBio to transition from CVS to
Subversion--a good step in the right direction (though I've recently
started transitioning from SVN to Bazaar VCS). All we have to do is
come up with a date when the CVS repository can be locked down and
taken offline.

Also, I need to know what is needed from me in terms of helping all
the devs migrate to SVN. I produced a screencast series on Subversion
at
http://showmedo.com/videos/series?name=bfNi2X3Xg
and there is a transition guide at
http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.forcvs.html

Would providing links to these on the wiki be sufficient? What further
information would you like to know? Subversion is not a radical
departure from CVS and many of the commands are a one-to-one mapping.
The biggest difference is commits occur for the whole repository, not
on a per-file basis, and directories are tracked, as well.

Let's get a discussion on this and set a date soon.

Chris