[Biopython-dev] Subversion Repository

Chris Lasher chris.lasher at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 04:06:39 UTC 2007

On 10/9/06, Chris Lasher <chris.lasher at gmail.com> wrote:
> Anybody know if BioPython (I suppose all Open Bio projects) will
> switch over to Subversion, and if so, when? I think the merits and
> advantages of Subversion over CVS speak for themselves. It's certainly
> become my revision control system of preference. Anybody else's?

I'm raising this issue again. I did some digging and found an Open-Bio
mailing list thread from 2006 that states:

> We have a new machine just for everyone on this list. It is called
> "dev.open-bio.org" and it will be the new home for developers using
> CVS as well as the people who want to switch over to using Subversion.

The full thread is available from <http://tinyurl.com/2oh9x4>.

Considering that Subversion addresses the weaknesses of CVS, I'm
surprised that every Open-Bio project still runs from CVS instead of
Subversion. Someone's got to lead the way, why not have it be
BioPython?

We've had a lot of active development as of late, with SeqIO, and now
with NumPy transitioning. Either of those cases would have been better
tracked through Subversion, which keeps tallies of revisions on a
repository-wide basis, rather than a file-by-file basis.

I've also found that researchers new to revision control have had
great success in picking up and using Subversion in our local Software
Carpentry group. I have also created a screencast on using Subversion
which demonstrates all the basic commands and activities. This
screencast is available in AVI (MPEG4) and OGG formats at
<http://gotgenes.com/media/screencasts/swc/shell_cast.avi>
<http://gotgenes.com/media/screencasts/swc/shell_cast.ogg>

I hope the BioPython developers will consider a move to Subversion
seriously. If there is support from the devs, but no interest on
anyone's part to make it happen, given the proper people to contact, I
will be happy to get this moving as a way of contributing back to the
BioPython community.

Best,
Chris