[Biopython-dev] Re: Work towards getting KDTree compiling

Michiel Jan Laurens de Hoon mdehoon at ims.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Thu May 13 22:25:55 EDT 2004

Brad Chapman wrote:
> But yes, I've checked in yet another change. I am praying that this
> will finally let everything compile and build windows installers and
> all those good things, so that I can stop bothering you with this
> and we can be all good and happy and ready for release time.

The latest version works with Microsoft Visual Studio and the mingw32 compiler.
Good job!

Some short comments:

o) The source in Bio/PDB/mmCIF/lex.yy.c uses some Unix-specific commands from
unistd.h. Microsoft's compiler barfs on these, the mingw32 compiler does not. It
may be a good idea anyway to check if the mingw32-compiled version actually works.

o) Recently I found out that the official Numerical Python version is now
numarray. The Numeric module is now unsupported (see
http://www.pfdubois.com/numpy). We'll need to decide if Biopython is going over
to numarray, or whether to stick with Numeric for now. Some modifications will
be needed in the Python and C code if we start using numarray.

--Michiel.

--
Michiel de Hoon, Assistant Professor
University of Tokyo, Institute of Medical Science