[Biopython-dev] Spam: How about restricting posting privileges to only subscribers?

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Mon Jan 5 18:13:37 EST 2004

Hi Danny;

> The majority of spam that I'm receiving nowdays is coming from the
> biopython-development discussion list.  It's really disheartening to try
> reading the archives, and come up with nothing but spam.

Yeah, I've been questioning to myself in my head about what exactly
is going on -- it seems like biopython-dev is letting way more spam
through then the other open-bio lists. I'm not exactly sure why this
is, but I'm not really the best person to comment on this as I know
nothing about the mailing list setup -- Jeff or Chris, do you guys
have any clue why biopython-dev is seeing so much more spam?

> I know that Mailman has a feature to restrict posting privileges, to keep
> spam from flooding the list --- would it be possible to turn that on?

Yeah, right now the list is pretty bad since it is almost all noise
to signal -- if we can't fix the problem another way we might have
to do that.

Thanks for bringing it up and making us actually do something about
it.

Brad