[Biopython-dev] Restriction analysis package.

Brad Chapman chapmanb at 50mail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:19:16 EDT 2004

Hi Fred;

> I would like to know where do we stand for the Restriction analysis package.
> I posted a message on the biopython-dev list but got no response.
> As previously said, I am ready to maintain the package in Biopython.
> Just tell me if you still are interested.

Sorry for the delay in getting back with you. We are definitely
still interested in the code, and I've went and integrated into
Biopython CVS. Please let me know if I didn't get anything into CVS
correctly. For those who are interested in checking it out, here
is what is included:

Bio/Restriction -- very nice set of modules for dealing with
Restriction Enzymes, including searching for enzymes within
sequences and performing cuts with them

Doc/cookbook/Restriction -- documentation on using the modules (also
included on the website)

Scripts/Restriction -- scripts for updating the enzyme classes from
Rebase

The only modification I made was to add a catalyze function (which
just calls the catalyse function). I was having a bit of trouble
getting used to the British spelling :-). I also added some basic
tests in Tests/test_Restriction.py -- please do feel free to add to
these, they are pretty basic right now.

Thanks much for this contribution -- everything looks very well
designed and useful. And with documentation. Woo.

Brad