[Biopython-dev] fiddling with the biopython URL

Brad Chapman chapmanb at uga.edu
Wed May 21 17:16:15 EDT 2003

Hey Jeff;
Sorry to be so slow. In the middle of writtens this week. Gack.
Wednesday being finished means more than halfway done though, so
I've got a little life in me.

> I've been messing around with the Apache rewrite rules to prettify the
> URL.  Currently, http://www.biopython.org gets rewritten as
> http://www.biopython.org/biopython, which gets rewritten to the quixote
> source.  I do not like the extra level of indirection, because it makes
> the URLs harder to remember and type.

Agreed. I haven't come up with a good solution for this yet;
although I was thinking about it. I'm really glad you came up with
something.

> Since it would be convenient to
> put static content up occasionally, I have made a rule so that
> http://www.biopython.org/static/ does not get rewritten to quixote.
> Therefore, we can drop static content in:
> /home/websites/biopython.org/websites/static

Cool. The one problem I thought would happen was that mailman links
would get messed up as well, but it looks like you fixed that too.
Awesome. Thanks.

By the way, I have the static directory files and docs serving out
information through Quixote's mechanism, so you can also put stuff
in /home/websites/biopython.org/files/ and it'll get mapped to
http://www.biopython.org/files. Right now that's where I keep the
download stuff (and documentations is in docs) but there's no reason
other things couldn't go in there as well. Just another option.

> Brad, did you set up the rewrite rules originally?  Please let me know
> if this is a bad thing to do, will break something in the website, and
> if I should change it back.

No, it's a very good thing. Everything looks smoov. Thanks again
for fixing that!

Brad