[Biopython-dev] fiddling with the biopython URL

Jeffrey Chang jchang at smi.stanford.edu
Mon May 19 00:44:25 EDT 2003

I've been messing around with the Apache rewrite rules to prettify the
URL.  Currently, http://www.biopython.org gets rewritten as
http://www.biopython.org/biopython, which gets rewritten to the quixote
source.  I do not like the extra level of indirection, because it makes
the URLs harder to remember and type.  Thus, I have changed the rewrite
rule so that the website is served from http://www.biopython.org .

However, this leads to one bad thing, which is that all pages in our
website are now directed to quixote.  Since it would be convenient to
put static content up occasionally, I have made a rule so that
http://www.biopython.org/static/ does not get rewritten to quixote.
Therefore, we can drop static content in:
/home/websites/biopython.org/websites/static

Brad, did you set up the rewrite rules originally?  Please let me know
if this is a bad thing to do, will break something in the website, and
if I should change it back.

Jeff