[Biopython-dev] Effective ways to use Martel

Cayte katel at worldpath.net
Thu Jan 17 18:13:27 EST 2002

   Background:  Andrew took the time to look into a pesky bug in my
saf_format( not yet committed ).  The consumer occasionally received tags
that were sliced at the wrong point.  Think of an enzyme that attaches to
the wrong base by a few bases.

  Andrew pointed out a bug where I assumed a name was always 14 characters
where it should be a maximum of 14 characters.  However this did not explain
the bug.  Further investigation showed the problem  to be a limitation of
EventGenerator.  My format used embedded tags and EventGenerator does not
support them.  Andrew recommended his new Dispatch module as an alternative.

 Shud this be documented?  Andrew says in the future Dispatch will be the
preferred tool.  But without documentation what keeps users from uing the
old technique and running into the same issue?

                                               Cayte

 .