[Biopython-dev] Making biopython release

Thomas Hamelryck thamelry at vub.ac.be
Mon Dec 2 05:53:05 EST 2002

On Friday 22 November 2002 08:52 am, Jeffrey Chang wrote:
> Hey Thomas,
>
> I'm getting an error when trying to link the KDTree module (attached).
> This is on Solaris 2.6, gcc 2.95.3, and python 2.2.  Do you know where
> these errors are coming from?  It's most likely an error with
> distutil's compiling options, but we need a workaround.

I think I found the reason and a solution for this problem (take a look at
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-bugs-list/2001-July/005951.html):

If you have CC set to "gcc", then the "setup.py" script
compiles the extensions incorrectly (in particular, the "-fPIC"
on the compile is not used).

If you don't have "CC=gcc" set in your environment, then things work fine

I don't have access to Solaris so somebody will have to check this....

Cheers,

-Thomas