[Biopython-dev] The 'year' attribute of parsed Medline record return empty

Jeffrey Chang jchang at SMI.Stanford.EDU
Sat Oct 13 17:26:44 EDT 2001

This is as designed.  The members of the Record class are supposed to
mirror the information given in the MEDLARS format.  If there's no YR
line, then the year member of the record is empty.

If you need the year member, it should be pretty simple to make a
parser that uses it.  For example, you could do (untested):

class MyParserWithYear:
   def parse(self, handle):
     rec = Medline.RecordParser().parse(handle)
     if not rec.year:
       rec.year = rec.publication_date[:4]
     return rec

Jeff