[Biopython-dev] MetaTool

Andrew Dalke adalke at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 26 11:56:26 EDT 2001

>I found an extension called Numeric Python, that provides
>powerful support for matix representation and manipulation.

Numeric Python is pretty widely used, and rather easy
to install.

>  Of course I'd need to investigate more to see how reliable
> the extension is.

One of my clients uses it all the time.  Years ago there
used to be a lot of things (almost all non-standard uses)
that would cause it to fail, but they've been long ago
cleaned up.

I think Numeric was one of the first common non-Guido
extension to Python.

>  Is this the way to go?

Yes.  If you're doing non-trivial matrix numerics it's
best to use Numeric, even given the extra dependency.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com