[Bioperl-l] NSF Funding opportunity for open source ecosystems

David Mertens dcmertens.perl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 16 21:57:28 EST 2022

Hello PDL, BioPerl, The Quantified Onion, and Perl Foundation folks,

The NSF just sent out an interesting program announcement:
https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/2022/nsf22572/nsf22572.htm, Pathways to Enable
Open-Source Ecosystems (PEOSE)

The PEOSE program aims to support managing organizations that will
> facilitate the creation and growth of sustainable high-impact open-source
> ecosystems (OSEs ) around already-developed open-source research products.

As is clarified in the description of the Phase II projects (which can get
up to $1.5 million over two years), the aim of this announcement is to
"support the transition of a promising open-source research product into a
sustainable and robust OSE." Proposals need to "identif[y] an intended user
community or organizations that will serve as *early adopters of the
technology*." Both PDL and BioPerl have made the transition to ecosystems
and are certainly not technologies in search of early adopters. No, this is
for anybody who has a "research product" that they envision could be
vaulted into its own Open Source Ecosystem.

That said, perhaps a larger governance organization could be envisioned
under which PDL, BioPerl, and perhaps other scientific projects could be
governed. I am sure that any Perl proposals would be greatly enhanced if
they could leverage the existing communities, organizations, and resources.
What follows are some ideas I came up with that may be helpful.

Part of the proposal would have to focus on outreach to researchers. Here
are some ways to do that which I think would really grab people's attention:

   - Provide free pre- or post-conference workshops. If you have a
   "research product" then you would give a workshop on how to use it, but you
   would probably also want to discuss the pipeline from research product to
   open-source ecosystem, i.e. how to take a Perl script and turn it into a
   module, and then how to publish that module on CPAN. We have amazing Perl
   speakers who I'm sure would be happy to cover this for a fee that would
   come from this proposal's budget. I know the APS March Meeting has these
   kinds of workshops and I am sure bio and astro conferences do as well.
   - Provide a cash award ($1k? $2k?) at select conferences for "best use
   of Perl/my-project in scientific research." I'm sure this would get grad
   students' attention and give them a reason to talk about using Perl in
   their research.

Another aspect to improving the Perl scientific pipeline would be smoothing
the Perl module distribution system for scientific uptake. I would love to
see a MathJax-capable CPAN so I could put equations in my POD, for example.

Hope this is helpful to somebody!
David

P.S. For anybody who is curious about *my* participation in this, I
recently (August) stepped away from academia so I wouldn't be in a position
to submit a proposal. I might be able to work as a part-time *postdoc* for
such a project, but not as a PI. I wouldn't even be able to "ghost-write"
anything because my life is going to be quite busy over the next few months.