[Bioperl-l] standardize shebang line in bioperl scripts

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 13 15:25:08 UTC 2018

> The point is don't assume that you know more about how someone else
> manages their Perl distributions than they do, or that packaging
> approaches for Debian are suitable for all distributions of Linux,
> Unix, and VMS.

We are using MakeMaker for installation and it's MakeMaker that's
setting the shebang. If you want the shebang to be "env", then set
PERL_MM_SHEBANG=relocatable for the installation.

Any change to this logic, can't be unique to the bioperl project and
will be better discussed in MakeMaker and other toolchains used for
installation.

Carnë

Just so it’s noted for the record, I agree with this.  I really don’t want to go down the road of forging a bioperl-specific way of doing things, the current bioperl code base has tons of examples of this already.

It’s also worth noting that we’ve very rarely (if ever) had complaints about issues with scripts related to specific perl paths in the past.  That doesn’t mean problems have never occurred, but it does suggest that it’s never risen to the point over the years that someone has complained about it.  All Carnë wants to do is standardize this.