[Bioperl-l] standardize shebang line in bioperl scripts

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 11:19:54 UTC 2018

Hi

I was wondering if there's any consensus about what should be used in
the shebang line.  Looking at the existing scripts, I found:

    #!perl
    #!/usr/bin/env perl
    #!/usr/bin/perl
    #!/usr/bin/perl -w

Using the bioperl distzilla plugin bundle, 'perl' and '/usr/bin/perl'
get converted to the path of perl used for the package installation.
However, if '/usr/bin/env perl' it remains unmodified.  This behaviour
seems to be a bug in MakeMaker [1].

To me it makes sense to have the shebang line replaced with the perl
used for installation since that's the one that will have the rest of
bioperl modules.  But the most important thing, I think, is to be
consistent.

If no one opposes soon, I will change all of them to '/usr/bin/perl'
so that it gets fixed during install.

I will also replace the '-w' flag with the warnings pragma.

Carnë

[1] https://github.com/Perl-Toolchain-Gang/ExtUtils-MakeMaker/issues/58