[Bioperl-l] BpWrapper: acknowledgements & call for beta-testers

Weigang Qiu weigangq at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 17:34:32 UTC 2017

Dear BopPerl developers & users,

We are planning to formally release and write a manuscript on BbWrapper
(https://github.com/bioperl/p5-bpwrapper), currently including four
command-line utilities (bioseq, bioaln, biotree, biopop) for manipulation of
sequences, alignments, and phylogenetic trees.

We would like to ask for your input on the following two issues:
* How should we properly acknowledge the original developers (since most of
the options are wrappers of BioPerl methods, not original codes by
ourselves)? Is there an ³official² statement of acknowledgement?
* I would like to invite you for beta-testing, commenting on, and
contributing to BbWrapper. This is necessary, because, while we are honored
to be hosted by bioperl.org, I have no idea how many (if any, besides
ourselves) have tried  or used these wrapper scripts.
We believe the ³Wrapper²-approach is more robust than many stand-alone
sequence utilities out there because of this community of developers and
users. Also, we believe these wrapper scripts could further popularize
BioPerl among biologists by relieving them from writing object-oriented
module callers.

Thanks,

weigang
----------------
Weigang Qiu, Ph.D. Associate Professor
Department of Biological Sciences
Hunter College of the City University of New York
Belfer Research Building
413 East 69th Street, Room 402
New York, NY 10021
Google Map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/413+E+69th+St,+New+York,+NY+10021/@40.7655
886,-73.9561743,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x89c258c3d235f76f:0x4f3d0d5d8a7
8fe6?hl=en
Office Tel: 1-212-896-0445
Lab Tel: 1-212-896-0446
Fax: 212-772-5227