[Bioperl-l] split of Bio::Root from bioperl-live

Carnë Draug carandraug+dev at gmail.com
Thu Aug 31 12:47:58 UTC 2017

Hi

Over the years there's been the occasional split of bioperl modules as
separate distributions.  On github, there's the remains of a Bio-Root
which state they are deprecated.

I have been doing some work in Debian package and the bio-root
distribution would be useful.  There's some non bioperl projects that
are only dependent on Bio::Root::* modules but because they are part
of bioperl, that brings in a whole lot of dependencies.

I could prepare a Bio-Root release and sync it with bioperl-live.  But
I was wondering why the split of bio-root was deprecated in the first
place.

As a side note, the split of the rest of bioperl would also be useful,
it's just that it's the split of bio-root that would be most useful
for the packages I have been preparing now.

Thank you
Carnë