[Bioperl-l] New Jekyll theme at bioperl.github.io

Peter Cock p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com
Fri Mar 11 15:14:15 UTC 2016

Hi Brian,

Very timely - BioJava were just struggling with updating the wiki, and
Spencer is taking a look at the MediaWiki and OpenID plugins:

http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/open-bio-l/2016-March/001428.html
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/open-bio-l/2016-March/001429.html
etc (and on root-l in private).

GitHub do try to give advance warning of changes, but using their
system will have downsides - here's quite negative example:
https://github.com/blog/1992-eight-lessons-learned-hacking-on-github-pages-for-six-months

One tiny issue: The search box on http://bioperl.github.io/ has a tiny
width (as is right aligned) under Firefox v44  - but a sensible size
(and left aligned) under Chrome and Safari.

Did you guys migrate all the generic things on the old wiki like the
file format pages to wikipedia or somewhere?

What are you doing about the static content outside the wiki? e.g.

http://bioperl.org/DIST/ <-- still important, or all on CRAN?
http://bioperl.org/SRC/ <-- looks like from pre-git days
http://bioperl.org/media/ <-- used in some documentation?

Those are the only things that came to mind before making the
DNS changes to point bioperl.org at bioperl.github.io

Note we'd want to check the @bioperl.org email addresses would
still be OK.

Regards,