[Bioperl-l] [ANNOUNCEMENT] BioPerl Future Development

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Jan 23 18:42:08 UTC 2014

On Jan 23, 2014, at 4:24 AM, Olivier Sallou <olivier.sallou at irisa.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
> I work with Debian on BioPerl packaging.
>
> I'd like to know what is the current status of BioPerl v2 release.

We are focusing on an eventual v1.7 release, where we will be splitting out code from core over point releases and packaging them together as Bundles/Tasks.

> Is 'master' branch on GitHub the code base reference for v2 as
> previously annonced on list [0] ?

Essentially, though we do not have a v2 branch.  v1.7 will focus on splitting code out, v2 would focus on improving speed and simplifying code w/o API worries.

> Even if code is not ready, I'd like to work on packaging task (which may
> require some time) and check as soon as possible depending packages
> compatibility to inform them of possible breakages….

You are welcome to test it out, as long as you understand the caveat to not expect that code on that branch to always pass tests (and that it relies on having Bio-Root module installed separately, which BTW are not on CPAN yet).  If you need to work on a branch that is expected to pass, I would use ‘v1.6’.

> Thanks
>
> Olivier

No problem.  Let us know how it goes!

chris