[Bioperl-l] Bb-utils

Weigang Qiu weigangq at gmail.com
Tue Dec 9 21:01:10 UTC 2014

Dear BioPerl developers,

I intend to share & (eventually) publish a suite of bioperl-based
command-line utilities my lab has developed & found very useful in the past
10 years:

http://diverge.hunter.cuny.edu/labwiki/Bioutils

Hilmar encouraged me to get some feedback & advice from the bioperl-L on
how to package and release it properly.

My specific questions are:

1. While it goes naturally with bioperl releases, but I would like it to be
more exposed than hidden inside the bp-scripts folder. Do you think these
utilities are useful enough to be housed in a separate folder (e.g.,
"bputils") by itself? I have a developer's account but I haven't commit
anything for years.

2. How to make it sustainable (and attract new developers) since we are
constantly revising and adding methods. It would be great if become a part
of bioperl-live.

Any advice and facilitation will be appreciated!

Thanks,
--
Weigang Qiu, Ph.D.
Department of Biological Sciences