[Bioperl-l] BioPerl future

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Sun Feb 10 04:25:14 UTC 2013

Apologies if you receive this twice. I never received the replies from the gbrowse list through bioperl-l so it is possible there were mail issues last night.

All,

(cross-posting to gmod-gbrowse)

I want to gauge the community's thoughts on a few things.  At the moment I think we can safely say that BioPerl 1.x is in maintenance mode.  By 'maintenance mode', I mean that we can only do so much with it w/o breaking backwards compatibility with old scripts.  We need a way forward so that we can address fundamental problems within the core codebase, namely speed.

I am thinking at the moment of pushing a 'v1' branch next week after I make an official announcement, with a new 1.6 release coming out from that branch (as already announced, tentatively scheduled for March 1).  That frees up master for any code development, removal of modules/cruft, etc.  This will open an initial path forward and at least enable us to do more.  Make sense?  This of course means that any code reliant on v1 should pull from that branch instead of 'master'.

Thoughts?