[Bioperl-l] Some trouble getting started

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 16 13:23:34 UTC 2013

On Apr 16, 2013, at 7:29 AM, Peter Cock <p.j.a.cock at googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 16, 2013, Peter Cock wrote:
>>

>> On Tuesday, April 16, 2013, Chris Maloney wrote:
>>

>>> * The wiki doesn't allow new users to log in:
>>>  https://redmine.open-bio.org/issues/3424:  neither the OBF wiki nor
>>>  the bioperl wiki.  Presumably this has something to do with the
>>>  migration to AWS
>>>  (http://news.open-bio.org/news/2012/11/server-transition-to-aws/) in
>>>  November last year.  If so, that's five months -- a long time!  That
>>>  ticket itself has been open for more than a month.
>>>  I would like to fix it, but I don't know whom to contact, and ...
>>

>> I wasn't aware of this until very recently, it was reported on the
>> Biopython list and forwarded to the root-l SysAdmin team.
>> http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/biopython/2013-April/008510.html
>>

> That bug is a bit odd - it doesn't seem to have been filed against
> any particular project, and has no assignee - and so most likely
> no one was ever emailed of the bug's existence. :(
>
> Peter

It's an OBF bug; makes sense in light of the common wiki issues across Bio* wikis at the moment.  Looks as if we never decided where such issues end up going or who they would be assigned to.

What is the consensus on using redmine at the moment?  Are the various Bio* (except BioPerl) still using it?  Using Github?  I haven't gone there primarily b/c they don't allow attachments (though that isn't necessarily a bad thing in some cases…).  Reason I ask: I would suggest we set up this project tracker so that it's primarily around web-admin, etc. for OBF, point the email forwards to somewhere useful, populate it with devs from the various groups, etc.  But, if no one but bioperl is using redmine then I don't see the point.