[Bioperl-l] releasing Bio-Root

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Tue Apr 2 04:54:47 UTC 2013

On Apr 1, 2013, at 11:18 PM, Carnë Draug <carandraug+dev at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have prepared the Bio-Root repo so a release can be made with
>
> dzil release
> git push --tags
>
> IF the development version of the BioPerl pluginbundles are installed.
> Note that Bioperl's dist zilla and pod weaver pluginbundles are still
> not available on CPAN. Could someone please upload them to CPAN or
> give me co-maintenance?

You have co-maint on Dist::Zilla::PluginBundle::BioPerl.  Note that the Pod::Weaver module wasn't in the original submission; we'll need you to transfer primary maint to BIOPERLML when you can (you should still be co-maint on it).

> I have removed the Bio::Root modules and tests from bioperl-live that
> are part of the Bio-Root distribution (that leaves one behind which
> was not forgotten. It was imported back in 2011 and then removed).

Okay.

> What to do about Bio::Root::Version? I didn't change its code, but I'm
> guessing it should be edited to do something so it keeps backward
> compatibility with this release. With the multiple distributions, this
> makes no sense since each of them may be a different version at any
> given time. Plus, BioPerl's distzilla pluginbundle uses the version
> plugin which already does it for each module.
>
> Carnë

It will be deprecated for most use cases for the reasons you mention, but yes it will need to be fixed to deal with things for the time being, at least until we can get Dist::Zilla running for the main bioperl repo.