[Bioperl-l] get geneID for gene names

Hermann Norpois hnorpois at googlemail.com
Fri May 4 12:09:52 UTC 2012

Thank you. I am very happy with -db `gene'. Originally I thought -db unists
was less ambigious. I combined the suggestions. So my script is:

#!/bin/perl

use Bio::DB::EUtilities;

open (OUT, "> geneID_list");
open (OUT2, "> genename_ID_list");

while (<>)
  {
   $name = $_;

 my $factory = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(-eutil  => 'esearch',
                                     -db     => 'gene',
                                     -term   => "$name [Gene Name] AND Mus
musculus   [Organism]",
                                     -email  => 'hnorpois at mpipsykl.mpg.de',
                                     );

 my @ids = $factory->get_ids;
# print "$name\t at ids[0]\n";
 my $geneids = join(',', at ids);           # For the case there is more than
one ID.
 print "Fetching GENEID\t$geneids for GENE NAME\t$name\n";
 print OUT "$geneids\n";
# my %name_id = ($name =>$geneids);
 print OUT2 "$geneids\t$name";
   }

But there still is something I do not understand. It is not important but
... $geneids seems to include "\n". Because this is what I get on the
screen:

Fetching GENEID    54161 for GENE NAME    copg

Fetching GENEID    12064 for GENE NAME    bdnf

Fetching GENEID    71661 for GENE NAME    0610005C13RIK

Fetching GENEID    382908 for GENE NAME    LOC382908

Fetching GENEID    54633 for GENE NAME    PQBP1

Fetching GENEID    258908 for GENE NAME    MOR154-1

Thanks
Hermann Norpois