[Bioperl-l] How to obtain Up- and Downstream target-Sequences of Blast Matches

Smithies, Russell Russell.Smithies at agresearch.co.nz
Sun Jul 15 21:19:14 UTC 2012

Hi Jochen,
I don't think BioPerl can directly manipulate blast databases so I'd probably do it with fastacmd to extract the sequence from the original blast database.
eg.
fastacmd -s X51494.1 -d /dataset/blastdata/active/nt -L 100,200
>gi|20090|emb|X51494.1|:100-200 Rice prolamin gene (strain NE4)
ATGATGCAAACGTTGGGCATGGGTAGCTCCACAGCCATGTTCATGTCGCAGCCAATGGCGCTCCTGCAGCAGCAATGTTG
CATGCAGCTACAAGGCATGAT

Or if you're using blast+, use the blastdbcmd command:
eg.
blastdbcmd -entry  X51494.1 -db /dataset/blastdata/active/nt -range 100-200
>gi|20090|emb|X51494.1|:100-200 Rice prolamin gene (strain NE4)
ATGATGCAAACGTTGGGCATGGGTAGCTCCACAGCCATGTTCATGTCGCAGCCAATGGCGCTCCTGCAGCAGCAATGTTG
CATGCAGCTACAAGGCATGAT

So to add it all together, try using BioPerl to parse your existing blast results and pull out each hit's coordinates then use a system call to exec fastacmd or blastdbcmd to extract the sequence from the blast database then write the sequences to file.

These might be useful:
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:SearchIO#Speed_improvements_with_lightweight_objects
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTO:BlastPlus