[Bioperl-l] BioPerl - quick general question

Fields, Christopher J cjfields at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 12 17:45:56 UTC 2011

On Sep 11, 2011, at 9:52 PM, J. Fernando Arguello wrote:

> Dear BioPerl,
>
> I'm excited to see a project like this! Basically I have a computer science
> background with a few years of development, research and minimal
> bioinformatics experience.
>
> Dumb question...where is the best place for a developer to begin on the
> BioPerl wiki(s), who is wanting to contribute new code or bug fixes to
> BioPerl in the future?

The basic starting point: the HOWTOs and the tutorial (not sure how up-to-date some of the latter are, in general they should work):

http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/HOWTOs
http://www.bioperl.org/wiki/Tutorials

> Any input is much appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
>
> Best,
> Fernando
> jfa

We gladly welcome anyone willing to hack on BioPerl.  The repository is now on github (core is https://github.com/bioperl/bioperl-live), so it's fairly easy to fork the code and make changes.  We are in the middle of splitting up the large codebase into more manageable subdistributions, so it's probably a good idea to ask on list about specific code in case the code is question resides in a separate repository.

Let us know if you have additional questions!

Cheers!