[Bioperl-l] Bio::Species bug report - cannot handle scientific names containing brackets

Nick Langridge nickl at ebi.ac.uk
Wed Jun 29 13:44:01 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm having problems with Bio::Species and species that have brackets in
thier scientific names, e.g. "Buchnera aphidicola (subsp. Acyrthosiphon
pisum, strain 5A)".

Bio::Species tries to extract the genus, species, and subspecies from
the scientific name, but it ends up with mismatched brackets, e.g.
genus:  "Buchnera"
species: "aphidicola (subsp."
subspecies: "Acyrthosiphon pisum, strain 5A)"

This causes an 'Unmatched ( in regex' runtime error when the module
later tries to use the species value directly in a regex (in the
binomial sub).

I'm not sure if this module is maintained (?) as the docs say it is
deprecated (unfortunately my circumstances mean I can't avoid it) but if
it is and you'd like a more detailed bug report then I can provide one.

Best regards,
Nick

Nick Langridge
Ensembl Genomes Web Developer