[Bioperl-l] limit the number of blast output per query

Hans-Rudolf Hotz hrh at fmi.ch
Thu Jul 7 09:02:47 UTC 2011

Hi

just double checking: are you really talking abut "10,000+ hits"? or do
you mean "10,000+ HSPs" ('high-scoring segment pairs')?

I don't know how your genome database looks like, but assuming you have
one sequence per chromosome, then you will get just 24 hits (ie each
chromosome) and then depending on your query each hit will have a lot of
HSPs.

As far as as I know, there is no way to limit the number of HSPs (you
might try playing with the E value).

You can try using the tabular output format (this will reduce the file
size) - or may be BLAST is not the right search tool for your task?

Regards, Hans