[Bioperl-l] Summer of Code Proposal

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 7 14:28:02 UTC 2011

Fei,

A few things.  Most important:

1) You should have a rough timeline (with actual dates) for the summer project, based on Google's events calendar (http://www.google-melange.com/gsoc/events/google/gsoc2011).  This should include start of coding as well as some general timeline of how you plan on implementing your wrappers and other related code.

2) 'Deliverables' are needed.  How does BioPerl benefit from this?  What do we get as a result of this endeavor?

A few comments on the proposal:

1) Wrappers, by themselves, aren't necessarily difficult to write up.  The tough part is getting Bio::* objects to work with the wrapped executable and parsing output, all the while ensuring the current classes within BioPerl can deal with the data in a meaningful way.  I haven't seen that described.

2) How would you want to deal with very large data sets using SeqIO?   Or would it be better to use something like an indexed flatfile, or seqs stored in a database?

3) How do you plan on dealing with multi-state or binary state data?  I don't think there are classes that handle this data (yet), or handle it well w/o significant hackery.  hint: maybe that can be rectified...

chris