[Bioperl-l] commandexts and array refs bug - found problem, not sure of best fix

Ben Bimber bimber at wisc.edu
Thu Jun 10 16:46:04 UTC 2010

i suspect this piece of code is seldom encountered.  if any existing
bioperl wrapper actually tried to pass an arrayref to commandexts, it
would hit this same error.  i only encountered this using samtools
merge.

I looked a little more into exactly what @switch is doing.  it seems
to allow you to supply switches specific to a given file.  the bowtie
wrapper uses it with paired end data (the first fasta gets a -1 and
and second gets a -2).  however, i dont see anywhere where this
actually applies in a multi-file situation.  nonetheless, reversing
the order of the two existing splice() (lines 991-992) I think will
preserve whatever functionality was there and prevent the error:

    my @files = @args{@specs};
    # expand arrayrefs
    my $l = $#files;
    for (0..$l) {
       if (ref($files[$_]) eq 'ARRAY') {
           splice(@switches, $_, 1, ($switches[$_]) x @{$files[$_]});
           splice(@files, $_, 1, @{$files[$_]});
       }
    }

As I write this email and look at the code above a little more, I
think that the current approach used to expand these arrayrefs will
also break down in other situations, including when the arrayref is
not in the last element of the @files array or when 2 arrayrefs are
passed.  However, it seems that this is barely used and it really
depends how much time/thought you want to put into it.

-Ben