[Bioperl-l] Get variation included in genbank file

Chris Fields cjfields at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 10 00:06:42 UTC 2010

It's much easier to work with the GI than the accession.  NCBI unfortunately just recently 'broke' their acc->gi stuff via efetch; you have to use rettype='seqid' and munge ASN.1 to get everything (though it is nice in a way for ID mapping).

After the initial step of grabbing the GI for NG_011506, though, you can use elink to grab the SNP IDs, then use efetch to get the actual SNP files, or esummary for the summary info.

#!/usr/bin/perl -w

use Modern::Perl;
use Bio::DB::EUtilities;

my $id = '224809339';

my $eutil = Bio::DB::EUtilities->new(-eutil => 'elink',
                                     -id    => $id,
                                     -email  => 'setyourown at foo.bar',
                                     -verbose   => 1,
                                     -dbfrom => 'nuccore',
                                     -db  => 'snp',
                                     -cmd   => 'neighbor_history',
);

my $hist = $eutil->next_History || die "No history data returned";

$eutil->set_parameters(-eutil => 'efetch',
                       -history   => $hist,
                       -retmode => 'text',
                       # 'chr', 'flt', 'brief', 'rsr', 'docset'
                       -rettype => 'chr'
);

$eutil->get_Response(-file => 'snps.txt');

# or ...

$eutil->set_parameters(-eutil => 'esummary',
                       -history   => $hist,
);

$eutil->print_all;

# chris